The process started in early Spring with the "wrong" excavator. Unfortunately, even after the wrong excavator came back to fix his mess... it was never right. It was not level and the sand still had 'deep pockets' in many locations (this can cause significant damage to horse legs and tendons). It did not drain but held water puddles for weeks.
We then found Tip Top Horse Arena Services right here in the Grand Rapids area. They do excellent work and have a following by some of the "big name" horse people.. so we knew they would do a good job!
And.. we were not disappointed. They fixed the mess and the arena is now level and drains very well. The base and footing has been done now for a few weeks (and it's been used), but just today the base units were delivered. We got the boards from a big box store to save money.
|Base units are lightweight enough to move, but sturdy enough to hold the railings/boards.|
|Steve & Maggie ready to drag the arena|
|Arena before it was dragged and the fencing installed|
|Maggie May.. just supervising!|
|Steve & Maggie drawing the arena. Riding the Ranger is one of Maggie's favorite things to do.|
|Here comes the arena fencing (tractor in the background)|
|Horses seem unfazed by the commotion|